Change the Author field on import

Jan 31 at 12:07 PM
Edited Jan 31 at 12:18 PM
Difs 2.7.0 (64b)
Logfile enabled according manual but nothing is logged.

I import a lot of documents (using the Excel method) in a SharePoint Online document library. Everything is working fine. But, as I import all the documents, SharePoint makes me Author of all the documents. i don't want that but be the original owner be the Author.

In my Excel I have the field "Owner" For testing I have different values:
J.Doe

J.doe[AT]domain.com (normal email address, codeplex does some formatting)

Joe Doe

Domain/j.doe

In my XML I have this mapping:
<ImportMapping xsi:type="ImportMapping_User">
<DestinationField>Author</DestinationField>
<SourceColumn>Owner</SourceColumn>
</ImportMapping>
Everything is imported without error but in the Author field on SharePoint it is my name.

As my Sharepoint is Dutch I tried different "DestinationField" (Gemaakt door and Gemaakt%20door).

Do you have a suggestion?

And, thanks again!!
Coordinator
Jan 31 at 12:17 PM
Sounds like the problem is with property promotion.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/wbaer/2014/08/29/document-property-promotion-and-demotion-overview-and-considerations/

Please advise if that is the case
Jan 31 at 12:34 PM
Edited Jan 31 at 12:37 PM
I think so.

When I check the Author property of the document it is "Rollout Account".
But It looks like it is not possible to overwrite this?

I also tried to do the same with the editor field but that also is overwritten with my name.
Jan 31 at 12:47 PM
The problem seems to be related with this:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/vedant/2009/04/03/updating-created-and-modified-information-for-files-in-a-sharepoint-document-library/

I am not a programmer but could this be the problem?
Coordinator
Jan 31 at 1:10 PM
That article certainly does not apply here.

If you can upload a text file containing say just "Hello" and the properties are updated then property promotion is the problem.

If this still does not work then ensure that you are a site collection administrator since I have been told that this occasionally makes the difference.

If this still does not work advise
Jan 31 at 1:58 PM
Edited Jan 31 at 2:25 PM
Yes when I upload an .txt (just containing "Hello") the fields Author and Edited are updates to my O365 user (which is site-collection admin).

Is property promotion something you can turn on or off? - On the other hand I do not know if I would want that. When uploading new documents by other users, I might just need it.
Coordinator
Jan 31 at 2:49 PM
Logically one could argue that SharePoint is working perfectly but your documents all have the wrong internal values.

I don't believe this can be disable in SharePoint online.
Jan 31 at 3:19 PM
Ok, I'll think about some alternative in my situation...

Thanks.